Genealogy is Chasing Your Tale --
Family Bibles
Ferdinand Christman

Holy Bible in English; U. S. B. Publishing, Toledo, Ohio, 1886

The Bible is now in the possession of the C. G. Brisee Genealogy Library, Irwin, Iowa.

The family Bible of Ferdinand and Irena E. (Howe) Christman of Shelby Co., Illinois.

Bible Marriage Certificate
This Certifies that Ferdinand Christman and Irena E. Howe were united by me in the Holy
Bonds of Matrimony At Rev. A Y Graham on the
19 day of January in the year of our Lord
In Presence of J. F. Christman Mary Freyburger
Signed: A Y Graham
   F. Christman
   Irena Howe

Mr Ferdinand Christman and Irena Howe were married January 19, 1879

Maud E. Christman and Wm. E. Warthman were married May 30, 1902.

Ferdinand Christmans was born June 6, 1854
Irena Ellen Howe Christman was born Nov. 13,[or 18] 1856

Estella Maud Christman was born March 22 1880
Edgar Christman was born Oct 10 1881
Leonora Christman was born Jan 7 1883
Charles Raymond Christman Jan 15 1885
Ethel Christman was born June 5. 1887
Irvin Christman bornd June 20 1889
Augusta Christman born Dec. 10. 1892
Ada Pearl Christman bornd March 21 1895
_____ Christman (boy) born May 23, 1897
Lawrence Dewey Christman born May 6, 1898.
Howard Ferdinand Christman was born May 18, 1900.

_____ Christman (boy) died May 27, 1897
Maud E. (Christman) Warthman died July 31, 1903.
Ferdinand Christman died September 4 1933.
Ada Pearl Christman Sloan Mch. 13, 1942
Irvin Christman May 11, 1950.
Irena Ellen Howe Christman Aug. 4, 1950.

Maud E. Christman married May 31 - 1902
Edgar maried June 18-1918
Augusta married December 26-1917
Ada P married June 8-1923
Lawrence D married October 3 1923
Howard F married august 13-1927
Charley R married March 25-1914

2 locks of hair, braided
one labeled Augusta when she was 5 years (light brown)
unidentified (dark/medium brown)

State Marriage Certificate
Marriage Certificate, State of Illinois, County of _____
This certifies that Mr. Ferdinand Christman of Shelby Co. in the State of Illinoisand Miss
Irena Ellen Howe of Shelby Co. in the State of Illinoiswere at Todd's Point in said County
by me joined together in Holy Matrimony on the 19th day of June in the year of Our Lord
One Thousand Eight Hundred and Seventy NineIn presence of Julius Christman Mary
A. Y. Graham Minister

[News article]
Tuesday March 25, 1930
Mr. and Mrs. C. M. Pogue Married 50 Years
Mr. and Mrs. Charle M. Pogue quietly celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary at their
home north of Shelbyville in Monday. They received many congratulations in the form of
letters, air-mail letters, cards and flowers from relatives and friends from near and far.
On Sunday their three sons, Stanley, Homer and Delmar, and their daughter, Mrs. E. H.
Lumpp, and their families gathered at the Pogue home for a family dinner. Another
daughter, Mrs. D. S. Johnson, of Houston, Texas, was not able to be present on account of
sickness in her family. Near the large table on which all kinds of good things to eat were
spread, was a small table holding a fifty layer cake baked by Mrs. E. H. Lumpp. The cake
measures 22 inches in height and 38 inches in circumference. Some of the chinaware
presents received by Mr. and Mrs. Pogue at their wedding fifty years ago, was in use
Sunday. Mrs. Pogue still has her wedding dress and showed it to her children and
grandchildren. The dress was made by a Shelbyville dressmaker. At the time the dress was
completed the roads were in bad condition and Mrs. Pogue came to Shelbyville with her
father, the late George W. Longenbaugh, from Pickaway township on two wheels of a large
wagon to get the dress.Charles M. Pogue and Mary C. Longenbaugh were married March 24,
1880, by Leonitus M. Linn, Christian minister.

[newspaper obit]
Mrs. Virgie [corrected to Virgil] Sloan
Mrs. Ada Pearl Christman Sloan, formerly of Shelbyville, died at her home in
South Gate, Calif., at 1:45 o'clock Friday Morning, March 13.
Mrs. Sloan was born in Okaw township March 21, 1895, a daughter of the late Ferdinand
and Irene Christman. Her parents moved to Shelbyville a number of years ago where she
graduated from the local high school in the class of 1914.Following her graduation in
nurse's training in 1918, she went to California. She was married to Virgie [corrected to
Virgil] D. Sloan, June 8, 1923, at Pasadena, Calif.
Mrs. Sloan is survived by her husband and two sons, Richard 17 years old, and Jack, 15
years old. She also leaves her mother, Mrs. Ferdinand Christman of Shelbyville, and the
following brothers and sisters: Charles, Lawrence and Howard Christman of Flint, Mich.;
Mrs. Augusta Boling of Cincinnati, Ohio; Edgar Christman, Nora, Ethel and Irvin Christman,
all of Shelbyville.

[newspaper article]
Miss Muenter Bride of William James
Wedding vows were exchanged at four o'clock in the afternoon on Saturday, June 17
[1967], by Miss Carol Ann Muenter, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Muenter, 830 South oak
street, Hillsboro, and William W. James, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. William W. James, Sr., of
Springfield, Mo.The Rev. Dwight O. Weber, pastor of Our Savior's Lutheran church,
Hillsboro, performed the single ring ceremony in St. Paul's Lutheran church, Hillsboro, in
the presence of 250 guests, relatives and friends of the bridal couple and their parents.
William Roos, organist at St. Paul's church, was at the organ, playing traditional nuptial
music and also accompanied the soloist, M. Wells Huff, St. Louis, Mo., who sang "I Love
Thee" by Greig; "O Perfect Love," and "The Lord's Prayer."
White gladioli, snapdragons and chrysanthemums in floor length baskets and urns, placed
against a background of greenery, decorated the church altars. White hurricane lamps, with
smilax and white satin bows marked the church pews.
Harry Muenter gave his daughter in marriage. She wore a lovely gown of white silk organza
over taffeta; beaded Alencon lace motifs accented the high rise bodice with full Kabuki
sleeves. Additional lace motifs were placed on the floor-length A-line skirt, and continued
on the court length Camelot train attached at the shoulders with two tailored bows. Her
full veil of silk illusion cascaded from a pillbox of beaded Alencon lace over organza. The
bride carried a white leather bound prayer book over which was centered a lift-out
corsage of cymbidium orchids surrounded with white roses and stephanotis.
Mrs. Rudyard K. Rapp, Warson Woods Mo., cousin of the bride served as matron of honor,
and Miss Donna Schnake, Carbondale, also a cousin of the bride, was bridesmaid. The
attendants chose floor-length dresses in mint green shantung. The empire bodice of each
gown was sleeveless with cowl neckline forming a deep V in back centered with a fabric
rose over a bow with long streamers. They wore green maline veils attached to small pearl
headpieces and carried cascade bouquets of white daisies, moss green bows and
floor-length streamers intertwined with ivy.
Stevens H. Harrison, of New York City, N. Y., served as best man and groomsmen were J.
Howard Piper, of St. Louis, and R. K. Rapp, of Warson Woods, Mo.
The bride's mother wore a one-piece aqua silk dress with a cowl lace neckline
and cuffs, with aqua accessories.
Mother of the bridegroom wore a two-piece pink silk costume with matching accessories.
Both mothers wore corsage bouquets of cymbidium orchids. A champagne buffet reception
was given immediately following the ceremony at Hotel Hillsboro, where members of the
receiving line stood before a floral background of flowers similar to those used to decorate
the church altars. Mrs. A. P. Rasche, Jr., of Hillsboro, and Mrs. Thomas C. Hay of Miami,
Fla., and St. Louis friends of the bride assisted at the reception. Mrs. Ann Randle of
Hillsboro, was in charge of the guest book.
The bridal couple left for one week in the Ozarks, followed by two weeks in New England
states, in July. They will be at home, upon their return, at 923 S. Hanley Road, Clayton, Mo.
The bride is a graduate of the University of Illinois, and is a buyer for Stix, Baer & Fuller, in
St. Louis. Her sorority is Delta Zeta. Mr. James, a graduate of Harvard University, of
Cambridge, Mass., is a trust officer, employed by Boatman's National Bank, St. Louis. He is
a member of the Noonday Club in St. Louis and of the Harvard Club in St. Louis and New
York City.
Out-of-town guests were present from Springfield, Mo.; St. Louis, Mo.; New York City,
N. Y.; Chicago, Nashville, Holyeton; Grosse Pointe, Mich.; San Antonio, Tex., and South
Bend, Ind. Included among the special guests was the bride's grandmother, Mrs. H. E.
Schnake, of Hoyleton.

[newspaper obit]
Barnhart Christman
One of Shelby's Oldest Citizens, Called to His Reward.
Wednesday morning, at the old homestead in Okaw township, that has sheltered and has
been the scene of his joys and sorrows for nearly half a century, Barnhart Christman
breathed his last. He was nearly 86 years of age. Few citizens of the vicinity were better
known than he, and he was held in the highest respect, as an honorable, industrious man,
a good neighbor, a kind father and friend.
Mr. Christman was born in Germany. When about 23 years of age he came to America and
resided for about twelve years at Lancaster, Ohio. He was married to Regina Roessler, a
sister of Capt. Roessler, in 1848, and came to Shelbyville in 1850. The first year he was
associated with Uncle George Wendling in the blacksmith business. Then he bought land
and lived for a number of years near Brunswick. Later he purchased the farm in Okaw
township that is now the old Christman homestead. He was a quiet man, very little away
from the home he builded and loved. At the hour of death, he lacked just five days of
having lived happily with his aged companion, fifty-two years. The blow is hard to her, for
life had proved a happy companion with him who was called to his eternal home.
Besides the aged and infirm wife, Mr. Christman left ten children, all grown up, of course,
to mourn. These are: August and Ferdinand of Pickaway township; Herman of Okaw; Julius
of Crwoley, La.; and Barney, of Kirksville, Mo.; Mrs. Julius Hoppe and Mrs. Dr. I. L. James of
this city; Mrs. Nora Roth, of Llano, Texas; Mrs. Lousa Truitt, of Okaw, and Miss Josephine,
who still remains at the old home. This is a remarkable family - all useful and successful
citizens - and this is the first vacant chair in the family circle. Mr. Christman also leaves 48
grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
The funeral will probably be held Friday morning at 10 o'clock at Antioch church.

[newspaper article, penciled 1933]
Rev. and Mrs. L. W. Evans to Hold Gold Wedding Anniversary Today
Tuesday will be the golden wedding anniversary of the Rev. Leander W. Evans and Mrs.
Evans, beloved Pine Bluff residents. They were married September 26, 1883, the ceremony
being performed by the Rev. H. W. Brooks, and the following year, October 16, 1884, when
twenty-two years of age, the Rev. Evans was licensed to preach.
The record of his life since is one of consecrated, faithful service in the Southern Methodist
Born May 8, 1862 in LaFayette county, he was reared near Texarkana and joined the church
when eleven years of age.
His first pastorate was Chapel Hill in 1885. On account of broken health he was a local
preacher until 1902 when he joined the Little Rock conference and served the Springhill
circuit. Other charges include Chidester, 1904; Murpheesmorough, 1905; College Hill,
1906-8; Mineral Springs, 1909-10; Bearden 1911; Sheridan, 1913-15; Carr Memorial, Pine
Bluff, 1916-17; Hawley Memorial, Pine Bluff, 1917-1920; Carthage, 1920-1925. All of these
charges were in the Little Rock conference. During 1931 he served Star City.
When he was superannuated in November, 1926, he located in Pine Bluff, and in their
modest, comfortable home on West Tenth avenue he and his wife, according to their own
statement "plan to live until God calls us to our home above."
The full record of their lives, however, is not to be crowded into such a brief and simple
account, but like that of many such unassuming heroic pioneers of the faith in the
Methodist church it is written in the lives of and characters of the men and women who
have come under the influence of their faithful ministry and are themselves living
testimony of the greatness of the sacrifice. And along with the honor and praise due these
men of faith is linked also the appreciation and recognition due their wives-brave
companions throughout the years.
Such for fifty years has Mrs. Evans been. She was born in Shelby county, Ill., November 19,
1863, the daughter of William and Catherine Freyburger. She came with her parents to
Arkansas in 1880 and the family home was near Prescott where she was living at the time
of her marriage.
Their children are: Mrs. J. F. Bolls of Texas; Mrs. F. H. Douglas of Tyler, Texas; Mrs. G. C.
Vaughan of Houston, Texas; Mrs. C. E. Whitten of Lewisville; Mrs. R. G. Vaughn of Little
Rock; Mrs. J. O. Lites of Pine Bluff and one son E. A. Evans of Hot Springs.
This afternoon from 2:30 to 5 o'clock the Woman's Missionary Society of Hawley Memorial
church, will keep open house in their honor in the Sunday school department of the church
and their friends are cordially invited to call and greet them during these hours.

[Newspaper obit marked September 1923]
Ferdinand Christman Passes Away
Ferdinand Christman, long time resident of Shelbyville, passed away at the family home on
North Third street at 6:00 Monday evening. He had been an invalid for the past four years,
his condition becoming serious a short time ago. The body was removed to Lantz Bros.
Ferdinand, son of Bernhard and Regina Roessler Christman, was born in Ridge township on
June 6, 1854, one of twelve children. On January 19, 1879, he was married to Irena E.
Howe, who survives. Eleven children were born to this union, nine of whom survive. They
are: Charles R., Lawrence d. and Howard F., all of Flint, Mich., Mrs. V. D. Sloan of
Southgate, Cal., Mrs. Clem Boling of Wilmette; Edgar, Ervin, Nora and Ethel, all of
Shelbyville, Mrs. Eliza Truitt of Jacksonville, and one brother, Julius of Crowley, La., survive.
Mr. Christman who was a farmer, moved to Shelbyville with his family thirty years ago. He
served as chief of police in Shelbyville for several years.
The funeral services will be conducted at 3:00 Wednesday afternoon at the home, with
burial in Glenwood.

[newspaper obit]
Christman Funeral Service Wednesday
Funeral services for Ferdinand Christman were conducted from the home on North Third
street at 3:00 Wednesday afternoon, with Rev. A. P. Jordan in charge. Pall bearers were
William Reed, Sherman Wilson, Frank Lower, B. P. Kreig, R. O. Watson and Fabian Boys. A
quartet composed of Mrs. R. G. Newell and Dr. J. H. Hite sang. Richard Neher sang a solo.
The flowers were in charge of Miss Bess Roessler, Miss Maude Hendricks, Mrs. Tom Headen,
Miss Lela Williams, Miss Ida Diddea and Miss Bertha Tallman. Burial was in Glenwood

[newspaper obit]
Michael Freybarger
Another Pioneer and Soldier citizen, Passed Away at His Home Tuesday, Aug. 26, After a
Long Siege of Suffering.
The last roll is called and the spirit of Uncle Mike Freybarger took its flight at 6:30 o'clock
Tuesday evening, Aug. 26th. Mr. Freybarger had been a long and patient sufferer. About
three years ago he fell and broke his hip and at that time he lingered several weeks
between life and death, but partially recovered so as to be able to be up and around. He
was a man of great vitality and energy. During his long siege of affliction and suffering, he
was a regular attendant at his church when it was possible for him to get there at all. We
have often seen him hobbling up the steps at the church and to his accustomed pew on the
front seat after coming through rough and stormy weather which kept many strong and
healthy people away. When any call for aid which was connected with the church was
made, Uncle Mike was one of the first to give, and his gifts were always liberal. Even in his
will it is said he has made liberal provisions for the church.
Michael Freybarger was the third son of John P. and Johanna Freybarger. He was born in
Schwetzingen near Heidelberg, Germany, on February 23, 1820. Mr. Freybarger's father was
an officer in Napoleon's great army, receiving his discharge from service shortly before the
battle of Waterloo. That part of the country in which he lived was formerly a part of France
but was afterwards ceded to Germany. In 1831 he emigrated with his family to America
and settled in Erie county, N. Y. Here he lived for three years and then started west,
driving through with the customary outfit of the homeseeker of those days. On their way
west, when in the central part of Ohio, Mr. Freybarger's father was taken sick and died. The
family then stopped near Columbus where the widow bought a farm, living there about a
year when she sold out and came west. They settled in Okaw township in Shelby county,
Illinois. Michael was the last survivor of this family.
In 1843 Mr. Freybarger was united in marriage to Miss Sarah A. Johnson, a step daughter of
Elder B. W. Henry, who was one of the pioneer preachers of Shelby county. To them were
born eight children only three of whom are still living. They are Mary the devoted daughter
who has remained at home to care for her aged father in his declining years, John who has
also been a close and helpful companion to his aged father and William who is engaged in
business at Ellensbury, Washington. He also leaves three grandchildren, Lulu, Walter
and Verlie Freybarger, children of Theophilus Freybargter deceased. They live with their
mother at Decatur. In 1870 Mr. Freybarger laid the remains of his faithful and devoted wife
to rest in the grave. Mr. Freybarger began married life on his farm in Okaw township, which
he still owned at the time of his death. In the year 1849 during the excitement of the gold
finds in California, he in company with seven others started overland for the gold fields.
The journey was made with ox teams until St. Joseph, mo., was reached when the oxen
were traded for mules. They then started west again, which was on the 7th of May, and
arrived in the mining regions of California on the 5th day of August. He returned to Shelby
county in 1851, having been fairly successful financially by his mining experience.
In September 1861, he enlisted and was mustered into service in the Union army in the
war of the rebellion as a member of the 7th Ill. Cavalry, Co. H. He remained in the service
until the end of the war and had risen from a private in the ranks to a Lieutenant in
command. At the time of his death he was one of the oldest members of Cyrus Hall Post of
the G. A. R. He united with the Christian church at Old Bethel in Okaw township in 1841,
and was baptized by Elder B. W. Henry. He continued his membership with that church
until he moved to Shelbyville a few years ago, when he moved his membership here.
As a  Christian and a citizen he always stood as an example to the rising generation. He
was always on the side of temperance, right and righteous, and was for God, home and
native land. He was as true as steel and as good as gold.
The funeral was held at the Christian church in Shelbyville at 2:30 o'clock Thursday
afternoon. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Otto, the pastor of the church,
assisted by Rev. A. H. Harrell of Windsor, who has been his life-long friend and co-worker
in the Master's cause in Shelby county. He was an elder in the church at the time of his
death. The church edifice was filled with sympathizing relatives, friends and comrades to
pay the last sad tribute to him who through death had been summoned to come up higher.
The remains were laid to rest in Glenwood cemetery under the auspices of Cyrus
Hall Post G. A. R. The pall bearers were selected from the officers of the church and the
Grand Army of the Republic, and were Capt. W. F. Turney, S. H. Wright, J. P. Bennett, W.
A. Cook, S. F. Gammil and W. C. Kelley.

[Newspaper article with 1942 date]
Dean Christman and June Boys Wed
Miss June Boys, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. N. D. Boys, and Dean W. Christman, son of Mr.
and Mrs. Edgar Christman, were married Wednesday evening at 7 p. m. at the home of the
bride's parents. Rev. A. P. Jordan of Bloomington read the ceremony.
Preceding the ceremony, John Norman of Monticello sang two numbers, "Because," and "I
Love You Truly." Mrs. Mildred Geisz accompanied him, and played the wedding march from
Lohengrin as the processional.The bride entered on the arm of her father, preceded by Miss
Patricia Mann, ringbearer, and Miss jean Carnes, her only attendant. They were met at the
altar by the bridegroom and Norman Christman, who served as best man for his brother.
The vows were spoken in front of the fireplace, on either side of which were candelabra
with white tapers and large baskets of gladiolas, carnations and feverfew.
The bride wore a gown of white mousseline de soie. It was designed with a sweetheart
neckline, short puffed sleeves and a bouffant skirt. The finger tip veil was held in place
with clusters of seed pearls. She carried a colonial bouquet of white carnations,
stephannotis and gardenias.
Miss Jean Carnes, bridesmaid, wore a gown of blue lace and marquissette. She carried a
colonial bouquet of pink carnations, blue delphenium and stephannotis.
Miss Patrick Mann, ring bearer, wore pink georgette over taffeta. She carried the rings in a
colonial bouquet of roses. An informal reception was held following the ceremony. A three
tiered wedding cake and ice cream moulded in the form of calla lillies, roses, and
Easter lillies were served by the bride's friends.
The bride graduated from the University of Illinois and for the past two years has been
teaching at Cusaac school.
Mr. Christman is also a graduate of the University of Illinois and is employed as chemist by
the General Electric Company at Pittsfield, Mass.
After June 8, Mr. and Mrs. Christman will be at home at 7 Second st., Pittsfield, Mass.

[church bulletin of week beginning June 19, 1927]
In Memoriam
Stanly William Conn
July 21, 1833 - June 12, 1927
A resident of Shelbyville for 62 years.
A member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for 71 years; superintendent of our Sunday
School for several years; teacher of the Women's Bible Class for a quarter of a century;
member of the Men's Berean Bible Class; also a member of the official Board for years.
Brother Conn was a man of sterling integrity, a wonderful Bible Student, deeply pious and
an exemplary Christian gentleman; respected by all who knew him and beloved by his
brethren in the Sunday School and Church.

[Church Bulletin Sunday, March 30, 1930]
J. Wesley McCann
The passing of J. Wesley McCann is a real blow to the community. He has been the source
of inspiration for all those who knew him, and to his race in particular he has been a
counsellor, a guide and a father. His going is felt by us all. Yet we rejoice that he has gone
to the Glory Land where we will meet him again.

[Church Bulletin Sunday March 23, 1930]
In Memory
We dedicate this bulletin to the memory of Dr. William J. Eddy, Shelbyville's beloved
physician, most worthy citizen and most noble Christian. "For he was a good man full of
the Holy spirit and of faith." Acts 11:24. No man has given more liberally to his Church of
his time, talent and money, than has this good man. Shelbyville first Methodist Church will
ever cherish his memory.

[Family History manuscript one of two]
My Great Grandparents were Elizabeth (1799 - 1871) and Christian Roessler
(1789 - 1861). (Came 1817 to Am.)
Their children, as you know, were Reuben, Edward, Andrew, Philip, Elizabeth
and Regina.
My grandmother was Regina Roessler (7-19-27 to 11-24-1905) who married
Bernhard Christman (2-14-14 to 8-8-1900) on August 13, 1848.
Their children were:
Elizabeth born J[un]e 7, 1849 died 1931
August Apr. 1, 1851
Herman Jan 30-53 [d.] 1925
Ferdinand J[un]e 6-54 [d.] Sept. 4, 1933
Bernhard Jan 13-56
Julius Jan. 4-61
Josephine Feb 18, 1861 died 1945
Louisa Oct. 30, 62 [d.] Jan 1940
Henrietta Jan 19, 67 died 1918
Oscar May 15, 69
Leonora Aug 15 1870
All deceased

My great great grandfather Philip Christopher Mueller (Miller) came to America in 1805. My
grandmother, Regina Roessler Christman kept a strain of the lettuce seed from yr to yr that
was brought across the ocean in 1805 & Aunt Eliz Christman Hoppe planted it until her
death in 1931.
Grandmother's brother
Reuben Roessler married Catherine Christman who was the only sister of Bernhard
Christman - Making the children double cousins.

[second family history manuscript, as written by Josephine Christman, copied
by Ethel J. Christman on March 1938]
My great grandfather Christian Roessler came from the Kingdom of Wurtemberg, near
Stuttgart. He came to America in 1817.
His children were:
Edward, married Anna Stumpff
Regina, married Bernhard Christman
Elizabeth, married _____ Pfeiffer
Rhuben, married Catherine Christman

My great, great-grandfather Philip Christopher Müller (Miller) came to America in 1805.
During the Revolutionary war, the Hessians were sold to King George III of England. The
Grand duke of Hessia was a tyrant and Grandmother Regina Christman's (nee Roessler)
Grandfather (Papa's great grandfather, My great, great grandfather) Müller joined a
company to overthrow the government of Hessia. The conspirators were just ready for
action when they were betrayed. An old man entered where they were and said "children
you are betrayed, burn all the papers in possession". They had time to do this before the
police arrived. Those who were under suspicion were cross examined many times, with the
hope that they might betray them, but none did. From that time on, my great-great
grandfather Müller determined to leave the Dukedom. He said his four sons should not
serve a tyrant. If he remained there, they would all have to be soldiers, but there was a
law that no man could leave the dukedom. The penalty for leaving the country was ten
years imprisonment. So he had to make people believe he was going to see his brothers
who lived some distance away. He was a wagon maker by trade, and in getting one ready
to travel in, he was asked "why he was taking a wagon". He told them his brother wanted
him to bring it to him. So he prepared himself for a flight with a one-horse wagon. There
was but one man whom he trusted to not betray him to the police. He had a friend in
America who had written him letters a different times and he resolved to go to that
country. In order to not excite suspicion, he could take only a few of his possessions.
What little would go in his wagon besides his family (his wife & seven children). In the
dead of night, with only this one man to help him, they started at midnight to cross the
Hessian border. He said his heart beat so fast and hard he feared it would burst, but once
outside the boundary, they were safe. They went to Amsterdam, where they had to stay for
three months before there was a vessel to take them away.
It cost $80.00 apiece to bring them over and he had not enough money to pay it. So when
they landed at New York, people would come to the ship and pay the passage of those
who could not, and they would then have to work until they had earned that much.
Uncle (P. C. Miller) was the baby when they came over, and my great grandmother
Roessler, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Louisa Dorothy Müller was six years old.
This was given me by Aunt Josephine Christman Mch 1938 to copy - Ethel J. Christman.